Monday, September 19, 2005

New Orleans

Hi All,

Well, my trip to New Orleans was... well, it's awkward to say "good"
because of it being a huge tragedy and all, but it was good. It was
seriously one of the smoothest missions trips I've ever been on.
nothing went wrong, except for a swarm of fire-ants that got into my
suitcase... but actually I deserved that because earlier that morning,
right after breakfast, I had entertained myself by sticking a twig into
a fire-ant hole and watching them all run out in a frenzy. Then I'd
drop the stick, and they'd run in chaotic, confused circles, wondering
"what WAS that?!" because all they see is a noraml old stick. Then they
would disband, oing back to their jobs, and I'd do it again.

ANYWAYS, I don't think that's the kind of detail everyone needs to
know...

basically, I had an incredible time, and it was an awesome experience.
Look at my Flickr account ('Marianne's photos" link to the right) for
visual stimulus, and come talk to me about it for more details. A lot
went on, including partnering with the national Guard, the 82nd
Airborne unit from NC, and the Red Cross. Or i could tell you about
"Pastor Randy", who lost his church, his home, and 2 relatives in the
same day, yet still came back to our distribution center that evening,
prayed over us, and asked what he could do to serve us. his heart for
the community was one of the most servant-oriented I've ever known.

I don't miss the hot weather though...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A real enlightening blog. I love it. If you love New Zealand and the Lord of the Rings then see my blog sauron A great place to find sauron

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Glad you had an amazing experience/did amazing work.

I was in Alabama for a bit, and those damn fireants deserve it. Mess with them whenever possible.
Did you get to see those crazy foot-high mounds they make???

Laura said...

You're awesome for going there and giving of your time to help. You know, it's kind of ironic about the fire ants because you putting a stick in their little city is sort of like suffering a natural disaster. Funny when you think about it. And just like you. I can even imagine how you were sitting when you were doing this. Always curious.

We are glad you're back. Thanks for providing the photos so we can see (sorta secondhand) how it was. I hope you took the max from this experience. And welcome back!