Wednesday, February 15, 2006

the brilliance of Karim Rashid

For those of you who don't know, Karim Rashid is one of my favorite designers. His stuff is totally uninhibited, and I feel like it has studied, considered, and completely disregarded precedents so that it has become something almost entirely new and innovative. Basically: it is great. So anyway, I'm trying to familiarize myself with him some more, and I just read a few interviews. For one of them he answered "the questionaire of marcel proust', which was something of a parlour game in 19th century salons. A few of his answers were so much like what I would have answered, I was amazed. Others left me taken aback, such as "I don't like nature". Regardless, I'm going to fill out the questionaire, but I'm leaving some of the answers that he wrote because they're exactly what I would have wanted to say (those statements are followed by a **).

the main lineaments of my character.
the obsessive desire to create and/or design

a quality I desire in a man.
honest / aesthetic.

a quality I desire in a woman.
loyal / respectful.

what I appreciate most among my friends.
time spent together.

my principal defect.
a bent towards unneccessary sadness.

my favourite occupation.
letting my mind create whatever it wants and then sketching it/ writing it down.

my dream of felicity.
seeing my ideas realized**

what would for me be the biggest misfortune.
losing my right hand.

whom I would like to be.
a more dedicated Christian.

were I would like to live.
everywhere at the same time**

the colour I prefer.
grey or red.

the flower I love.
the japanese cherry blossom.

the bird I prefer.
the peacock and the raven.

my favourite authors.
I don't do much reading these days.

my favourite poets.
Byron, Shakespeare.

my heroes in fiction.
Again - not much reading lately

my heroines in fiction.
Again - not much reading lately

my favourite composers.
creative rock musicians

my favourite artists.
Chuck close, Damien Loeb

my heroes in real life.
people who do something original in this world**

my heroines in history.
the early christian martyrs

my favourite names.
I don't know

what I hate most.
I don't know.

the historic characters I dislike most.
Nero

the military enterprise I like the most.
I don't really care.

the reformation I appreciate the most.
I haven't studied them enought to know

nature’s gift I would like to have.
that I would never need to sleep.**

how I would like to die.
peacefully

my soul's present condition.
on a global mission.**

the faults I can bear.
not everything can be perfect.**

my motto.
I want to change the world..**

2 comments:

timoni said...

You hate Nero the most? Interesting, interesting.

This guy sounds cool. Any pieces that you particularly recommend?

Marianne said...

heck YEAH, I hate Nero! he burned down half of Rome becaues there were already houses where he wanted to build his second palace. And THEN he told the public that the "new cult, those christians" did it. A field day was declared on Christians, after which, Nero had hundreds of them brutally murdered in the coloseum. Some of them by lions, others by wolves, and some he tied to the horns of bulls and slowly impaled when the bulls tried to gorge the others running around the coloseum in terror.

All so he could build a castle.

Also, he was a self-centered jerk, and held frequent mass orgies, which ended up passing as an excuse for "nobility" to rape women.

And furthermore, murdered his own mother and siblings, along with any rivals, so that he would become emperor.

He was an evil, evil man.