Thursday, August 18, 2005

I'm watching a Jason Mraz video on Launch - his cover of Blitzkrieg Bop. IT IS TERRIBLE, and I am quickly changing the video. I'm simply telling you this to warn you: do not watch it. DO NOT!!! He plays it all folky and slow, like a Nickle Creek song or something. Nothing against Nickle Creek, but... Eek... Anyways. I guess if you hate punk rock or something you might like this version better, but if you have any respect for The Ramones you won't waste your time.

And now! Lots has happened in the last 2 days that I suppose I should let everyone know about.

First - did I talk to everyone about how I was all set to quit school because I was tired of working odd hours at the Container Store and unsure where I could ever find a good design job, versus pursuing my art, etc, etc? Well that's not going to happen anymore.

In a nutshell: I was talking to my mom about how, although I love working there, I hated the early mornings, late nights, and weekends that I had to work at The Container Store (without hardly ANY normal hours!!), and how I just couldn't do that anymore. I'm too tired all of the time, and only have any sort of social life because I haven't started back at school yet. I was telling her how, if I could have a *normal* job, preferably in the Interior Design industry, I would probably stay in school because I'd get experience in the field I ultimately would want to work in while getting to work normal hours.

We ended the conversation, and I walked into the next room just as the phone rang. I let my mom get it since the home line is never for me, and I was perplexed to hear "It's for you, Marianne." I picked up the phone - "hello?"

"Hello, Marianne? This is Leanne, from Piaggio's Loft, in Alexandria (a design place). We got your resume and would like to have you in for an interview in the next week."

...

And a day later this company called Core Group (they designed Cafe Asia, the Georgetown Dean&Deluca, and more) e-mailed me in regards to a resume I sent them a while back, and I have an interview with them this afternoon.

I was oddly and immediately filled with excitement at the prospect of having a 9-5 job a few days a week, my 4 classes, and FREE NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS for all of the art and friends that I want (ok... And studying too...).

And so, yesterday, I gave the Container Store my 2 weeks notice. August 31 is my last day there.

...

ALSO oddly, Garth and I were talking on the phone about 45 minutes after I talked to Leanne, and said "Hey, Leanne (wife of one of his best friends) just e-mailed me and said "We're interviewing a girl named Marianne for the job. Is that YOUR Marianne?"

YES! It IS! So I might be working with one of Garth's really good friends, which would be super fun and cool, because I keep hearing about how much I would like her! Small world. ^_^

2 comments:

timoni said...

Whoa, that's amazing! Totally awesome! And now you don't have to worry about Saturdays anymore!!!

Hooray!

Wow. God is so awesome. I love God.

Marianne said...

I know! I got this chill when I picked up the phone, because it was totally like God saying: "FINE, the normal job is what it takes to get you to stay in school? Here's a normal job. LEARN SOME PATIENCE, WOMAN!"

And I cannot express with words how happy, happy, happy I am to be open for our Saturday night plans now. ::marianne sighs with contentment, and she prays that she gets a job in the next 2 weeks::