Wednesday, January 25, 2006

In response to Sunday's conversation

Timoni, Heather and I had a conversation about 80s love songs (I believe it was a carry-over from a discussion at Bible study?), and I've been "inspired" to post my personal favorites. Feel free to add songs via comment if you'd like :)

[Also of note, I realized when putting this list together that most of my faves are from 1987 - '89, which is probably due to the fact that the age of 7 and 8 is when I started to become aware of the "musical forces" around me... by which I mean my brother, and our favorite babysitter, Angie. And at 8 I got my first radio. I used to jump giddly on the bed to Paula Abdul's "cold hearted snake"...!]

******************
As far as "pure 80s", actually released then (that seemed to be a big deal on Sunday - as opposed to bands that are basically considered 80s bands even though they may have a few crossover albums [for example, Guns n Roses was mentioned]):

+ Never Say Goodbye ('86), and I'll be There for You ('8) - Bon Jovi
+ With or Without You - U2 ('87)
+ When I see you Smile - Bad English ('89)
+ The Promise - When in Rome ('88)
+ Eternal Flame - Bangles ('88)
+ Like a Prayer - Madonna ('89)
+ The Flame - Cheap Trick ('88)
+ Superstitious - Europe ('88)
+ O L'amour - Erasure (?)
+ In the Air tonight ('81), and Against all Odds('84) - Phill Collins
+ Every Breath you Take - the Police ('86)
+ If you Leave - OMD ('86?)
+ Missing You - John Waite ('84)
+ Right Here Waiting ('89) and Hold onto the Nights ('87) - Richard Marx
+ Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears ('85)
+ Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order ('86)
+ True Colors - Cyndi Lauper ('86)
+ Don't Dream it's Over - Crowded House ('87)
+ Forever Your Girl - Paula Abdul ('88)
+ Every Rose has its Thorn - Poison ('88)
+ If I could Turn back Time - Cher ('89)
+ Love Bites - Def Leppard ('87)

*****
As far as 80s bands, though, or at least bands that *I* consider the 80s genre (because c'mon, admit it, the first 2 years of a decade are "crossover" years that can be considered the previous genre) I'm going to add these 7 songs:

+ I'll be There - Escape Club
+ Don't Cry and November Rain - Guns n Roses
+ More than Words - Extreme
+ Can't live w/out your love & affection - Nelson Brothers
+ High Enough - Damn Yankees
+ Must've Been Love - Roxette
+ Always Somewhere, and Wind of Change ('90) - Scorpions

Yes, yes, yes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

toooo funny!! hey, what about the cure? and debbie gibson... come on!! "Lost in your eyes" was like a classic.

Ginny said...

You've been blog-tagged, Hooch! See my site for more details on your next mission. Whahahaha.