Sunday, July 17, 2005

Wasting Time

Salary.com calculated that employers spend $759 billion per year on salaries for which real work was expected, but not actually performed.

Top Workplace Time Wasters (according to AOL and Salary.com):

1. Surfing the Internet (44.7%)
2. Talking to Co-Workers (23.4%)
3. Conducting Personal Business (6.8%)
4. Spacing Out (3.9%)
5. Running Errands Off-Location (3.1%)
6. Personal Phone calls (2.3%)
7. Applying for Other Jobs (1.3%)
8. Planning Personal Events (1.0%)
9. Arriving Late/ Leaving Early (1.0%)
10. Other (12.75%)

For me? If I had an office job I would definately fit into the 44.7% category of internet surfers, as well as the "spacing out" group. I spend most of my time doing THAT anyways.

...

And NOW they tell me I could get paid!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is kind of a bunch of crap.

Do you know how little people would get done if they could never take a break?

If I don't take a break in the morning and a break in the afternoon to WALK somewhere and get coffee, my production probably drops to 75% of norm. Or, to look at it another way, if you let me take 10 minutes in the afternoon and morning to run an "off-site errand," I will do 133% of my usual amount of work for the other seven hours and forty minutes of the day.

Hrumph!

~ G ~

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I saw that article. It also said people only get 5 hours of actual work done a day. I was like, "5? That's ambitious". I already get 2 fiteen breaks a day (9:30A-9:45A and 2:30P-2:45P) AND a one hour lunch, but I am still guilty of nos. 1-4, 6, 8, and 10. Mostly no. 4, spacing out. I get called out on it about once a week, ha!

Marianne said...

Yeah, I need my breaks too, G.

And Kim, I KNEW you'd have something completely awesome to say to this. My favorite?

"I was like, '5? That's ambitious'."