Thursday, November 17, 2005

'Truth is more important than the facts'

I have had the most wonderful day. My 'Modern Architecture & Design' class went to Falling Water, and OH! What a trip it was. I say it with conviction: The rumors are true. Frank Lloyd Wright was a genius of architecture. No words can describe the sensation of standing in Falling Water - its presence, its ambience, its brotherhood with nature that is so complex that it comes back to being simple... You look around, thinking: "Well of COURSE windows should open like that..." while all the while wondering with furrowed brow "If it's so obvious how come I wouldn't have thought of it, not in a million years?"

Of course, Wright was a cantankerous egomaniac, which does make me feel better about myself - while I may not be a genius of architecture, at least I can relate humbly to people. But I am still envious of the ideas that came so naturally to him as I struggle to design a floor plan for my design studio. Did you know he drew the floor plans, elevations, and perspectives for Falling Water in about 2 hours?... and again I'm led back to wondering why I'm pursuing Interior Design instead of painting, because the paintings to me come like the floorplans for him. Alas.

And it's time for images (keep in mind, this was designed in the 30s. It was about 30 years ahead of the era it seems to represent so well) and quotes.

"Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose the former and have seen no reason to change. "


"It has often been said by philosophers, that nature is the will of God. And I prefer to say that nature is the only body of God that we shall ever see."


"Noble life demands a noble architecture for noble uses of noble men. Lack of culture means what it has always meant: ignoble civilization and therefore imminent downfall."


"True ornament is not a matter of prettifying externals. It is organic with the structure it adorns, whether a person, a building, or a park."


"The mob-ocracy is destroying the United States with their bad taste."


"Abandon it."(on being asked how he would go about improving Pittsburgh)

1 comment:

Marianne said...

No, I haven't given up le blog. But time ISN'T on my side right now with school so I don't really have time for anything else.

Example: yesterday I woke up at 6 and got to school for FW at 7; arrived back home from FW at 6:30, went home, ate dinner, and worked on elevations from 7:30 until 12:30 am (minus the few breaks to check e-mail/post on my blog), at which point I went to bed.

That'll basically be my life until mid-December.

I'm not complaining though; it's hard work, but drafting isn't as terrible as people make it out to be.